Monday, March 23, 2009

Birthday Party!

Well it was in February, so this is a little past due. I wanted to be able to use it before I showed it off.

Gigi gave me a Steel Dobro Guitar. It's beautiful.


The story of it is the best part. We walked by a music store in Gueret and saw it in the window. It was marked down -70% and we immediately loved it. We went in and played with it a couple times, and I said I would buy it by the end of January if it wasn't sold by then. I would fantasize about it and think about playing it in town as a pan handler just for something to do. I was really excited. So just before the end of the month it was still in the window, and we were about to head to Paris, so this was our last chance. The thing is in France there are only sales on things in January and July, and more often than not, they are great sales. So since this was the end of January we figured this was going to be the end of the discount. So on the way to the train station we stopped by the guitar shop. Gigi spoke to the guy and went back in forth for a while. It was a little longer than I thought it should be. Then the news, it had already been sold, and Gigi was trying to figure out a way for us to buy over the price because it was still in the shop. The guitar man said in english to me, "I'm sorry but it has been sold." which I thought was weird because that guy never spoke english to me. The train ride to paris was a long one. I was fairly disappointed.  Time had passed and it came up to my birthday. Gigi, Nick and I had spent all day traveling around on my birthday, hanging around Paris, enjoying a rugby party on a train, getting stopped by the police for cocaine, which Gigi told them we had, and eating at our favorite creperie. When it was time to crash we did so in La Sout at Kendras school. I was pooped, but the girls were gitty. Kendra and Gigi did the birthday song and dance then Gigi pulled out my gift, my brand new guitar. I was floored. I liked it so much the next morning I broke a string right away. It has since been replaced. Gigi pulled a fast one on me. The day we went to buy it right before we left for Paris Gigi was speaking to him IN FRENCH and buying the Guitar and arranging to pick it up at some point, then she told the guy IN FRENCH to tell me it was sold. That guy wasn't a good actor looking back on it, but he had me fooled and so did Gigi. I was surprised she was able to keep it a secret. Then in the mean time she had snuck it from Gueret to La Sout using her friends. What a tricky lady.

 I have learned some things, and I'm trying to fine tune it, but here is a sample.




2 comments: