Thursday, March 5, 2009

Friday the 13th, Valentines, and My Birthday

It's been a long time since I wrote, so the past couple of weeks will be in sections to save my sanity. 


This is the weekend of February 13th, 14th, and 15th. Being Friday the 13th, Valentines Day, and My Birthday. It was quite the eclectic weekend to celebrate. It was also the weekend that Gigi's Brother Nick joined us, which was a great treat to have a third from Minneapolis.

Friday the 13th was definitely that. Some very bizarre occurrences. First of all it was the day we were to wake up and travel to Paris to celebrate Valentines and pick up Nick. When we opened our window we found that it had snowed more than we have ever seen here, just over night. We had to tromp through it all the way to the train station which isn't very close.

The next bizarre event was one that bared fruit for us. We were just scooting along on the train and as we passed another train we got the usual startling SWOOSH that gets Gigi and I to jump every time. A split second after that a window on the opposite side of the train from us shattered right before my eyes. Apparently two broke during this incident, and we were asked to go sit up in first class for the rest of the train ride. Score.

Once we got into Paris I was hungry and tiered so we went to our apartment that Gigi booked for us, which by the way I am so grateful for all the lovely things she has done for us through all of this. She books all the trains planes and apartments and they are the most beautiful places imaginable. She is so selfless when it comes to this "party planning" it's quite admirable, and I am such a lucky boy to have such an awesome girlfriend. Thank you Gigi.
This is our apartment, that came with a great little hammock chair. After freezing our butts off for a while we decided to blast the heat and go grab some snacks before going out for our Valentines dinner which we were doing a night early so we didn't have to subject Nick to the cuteness.  It turned out to be champaign and McDonalds. We're a classy couple. It did save me from a hungry and tiered tantrum.


After snacks and eye gazing time we went to dinner in a cute little restaurant down the street. It was so Parisian, and fabulous. We had wine and I had something cooked in bones, which is new for me. I'm sad I didn't get a picture of it, but if I had it my way I would have some one fallowing me around with movie cameras.


After dinner we made our way down to the Eiffel Tower, because even after a few weekends in Paris, I haven't done anything appropriately touristy. We brought in Valentines day under the tower kissing and cuddling. It was perfect until the 4th or 5th vendor came up to us, grabbed Gigi's arm, shoved roses in her face and in a screech yelled "I love you" with his buck teeth stretched out at us. We were mid-kiss.


We had also Spotted Batman and The Joker down by the tower, It must have been still Friday the 13th somewhere.



The next morning we woke up nice and early to pick Nick up at the airport. This would be Valentines day Proper. We grabbed him and brought him right to the train station. It turned out to be a busy school holiday so most the trains were all booked up, but we grabbed one on the later end. That gave us some time to walk around Paris for a while.

Nick was able to get some Steak Freet which he was very excited about since his plane landed.
We spent the rest of the day wandering by the River Seine and just around. We grabbed some Champaign to drink in the park, and stayed warm by shivering and rattling our teeth. It was a lot of fun, and nick got many opportunities to skate around Paris.

After a long day of wandering we were looking forward to a  nice long train ride to La Sout to sleep and rest. We get to our car and there was barely any one on with us... until about 5 minutes before shove off. A HUGE family joined us in our car blowing whistles and shouting with paint on their faces and french flags over their shoulders. They were celebrating a French win in the Rugby game that night. The adults were tanked. I step away from the party for a second and when I came back Gigi's got a cup of whiskey going. They poured us all a drink and we join the party. We talked to everybody, and practiced our french. It was tons of fun. the drinking was endless, and when it got close to the end of the road for us they filled out cups zealously. Some one took a liking to nick and gave him a corkscrew, and french scarf, which was the most generous showing that we had seen in our whole stay here. We left the train with hugs and High Fives and walk into the train station where there were 8 cops, some with machine guns ready to great us. "I guess they don't like us drinking on the train" Nick said. I walk through the crowd of brass with out any word then Gigi, then the second Nick walks in they pull him aside. The head cop starts asking some questions and Gigi answers for Nick. He asks for Nicks passport and then asks more questions and Gigi says Yes to the Wrong question, and a puzzled look comes across the cops face. He asked if Nick was brining in cocaine. The correct answer to that question turns out to be No. We all laugh and the cop lets us go.

The fun never seemed to stop. After that we had dinner at the famous Creperi of La Sout


I scored with my crepe, and every one seemed pretty happy as usual. Just deliciousness. After Dinner we head back to Kendra's school for retirement, and I was surprised to an awesome birthday present from my darling Girlfriend. The trick she played on my was about as priceless as the gift, but I want to premiere the gift to everyone the right way, so it will be coming to a blog nearby soon. Now all of this happened Valentines day. To us it seemed like days on end.


The next day being my birthday was understandably spent resting. Nick slept till nearly 4. We had a wonderful Curry for dinner before heading back to Gueret. We were spent.

Thanks to all of you for the great birthday wishes, and as you may see it was a Great Birthday. I love you all.





1 comment: