Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Paris Outside the Apartment #1




What a great weekend, I feel like I did paris right by actually seeing it this time. We got in around 5:30 Friday night and went directly to the apartment to eat with one of the nicest families ever. We knock on the door and say hello and immediately get a beer put into our hands. Max is the husband, he's about to retire, and become a house dad. Lamia is his wife who is a very pretty lady who helps immigrants of france become legal. She also makes bomb coos coos with her hands. They have three kids, Sarah is 14, Sabrina is 5, and SO cute, and little John is 1. He slept through most the night, but made a late appearance.

They gave us a chance to unwind in our own apartment for a while before dinner, and around 8:00 we went back downstairs. We had more than a couple beers as we talked about philosophy, and our feelings about immigration and things like that. I wasn't so much apart of the conversation because this family mostly speaks french. Max can pull out some english every once in a while with the help of Gigi.
 Sabrina was being quite shy which surprised Gigi, because last time they were there Sabrina was quite in love with Gigi. I broke the ice with her by drawing on my hands, little butter flies, and faces with big ears, then two faces that spoke to each other in mumbles. She disappeared with the pen for a while and came back with drawings ALL over her hands. Dinner started some where around 9:30, and I was starving. A huge bowl of coos coos, with vegetables, chickpeas and chicken legs. We enjoyed a few bottles of wine, and a big cheese platter for dessert.

 Sarah, and Lamia feel asleep while Gigi and I played with Sabrina and talked with Max and
 drank more wine, my head hurts just thinking about how much we drank that night. We crashed with out much hesitation after that.


The next morning we woke up (eventually) and went to get the cash I had sent a while before I left the states. We tried to get the money the first time we stayed in paris but Gigi didn't have the right kind of identification. We spent a while in the money gram place and tried to reason with them to no avail. I was even there as the money sender, and they still wouldn't give it to us. It was one of the more frustrating events of my trip so far.
 So we thought this time would be different. Usbank told us that all Gigi needed was an ID, and we had that, So we went back and filled out the slip leaving some space blank, some transaction ID number. we get our number called, and the guy says he can't help us, We don't have the ID number and it's been past 45 days. I was about to shout and spit, then the girl sitting next to him interrupted and said she remembered us from the last time and that she would help us out. SCORE! We were so lucky she was there. Gigi was about to cry when we finally got out of there. S that left us with 1400 Euro in our pocket walking around Paris. Thats not safe in all sorts of ways.

We Stoped by McDonalds before dropping the money off at the apartment. I wanted to go to a McDonalds in Paris for more than one reason, but mostly because of Pulp Fiction. "you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France? A Royal with Cheese" "You can get a Glass of beer in McDonalds, no little paper cup but a full glass of beer" Well we order and the beer tap is out, and you have to pay to "Drown that sh*t in mayo" so we got our royals with cheese and felt a bit cheated.


From there we decided to be tourists and check out some sites. We went to Sacre Couer, and upon entering the gate I made 8 new best friends who all urgently wanted to talk to me about their art of string tangling. I'm sure they were so friendly because they saw that I was an artist with my camera. I felt a bit raped, but I left with my wallet and  most of my belongings. We climbed up many stairs to look over Paris and walk through beautiful Sacre Couer. No pictures, I didn't bring my sneaky Camera.  

No comments:

Post a Comment